Friday, May 09, 2008

New Acquaintance

On April 15, 2008, I had an encounter with A_ _ _ Cook. I was on the phone when he first walked into the office, and he casually made his way to my desk. Out of my corner vision, I saw that he was about 5’11 and had greezy long blonde hair. He smelled a little like a mix between Fritos and old, damp snow pants. Once I was finished with my phone call, I smiled up at him and asked what the heck he was doing in my lobby. Not really. I smiled up at him and asked if I could help him with anything. He responded by procuring a HUGE portfolio, which he had somehow snuck in undetected, and asked if we’re in the market for any art. Oh great. And I’m way too nice of a person, because for the next five minutes I got bombarded with picture after picture, until I finally started ignoring him as he was trying to shove more under my nose. They all looked like a ten year old had drawn them. He then proceeded to explain to me that he teaches music lessons, as well, in case anyone in the office might be interested. Then he handed me his card.







He has obviously used the Grand Canyon as a backdrop for combining his passions for both music and art. I love the list on the “Musician” side.

Piano, Percussion, Flute, Sax, Trumpet, Teacher


“One of these things is not like the other”…anyway, my favorite part about the entire illustration?? The fact that the little doodle of himself he’s made out of his last name actually bears very strong resemblance. Way to go, A_ _ _ _. Way to go.

Before he left, he asked me with a hint of desperation if I knew of a nearby tax company . I told him I was sorry, but no, I didn’t know of any. After angrily muttering a few moments about having to file despite the fact that he made under $9,000 last year, he was on his way, leaving me with his card, his lingering scent, and a few precious memories.

----------------------------------------------------------

Edited to Add: I originally had written out his entire name in this post, but then when I googled "A_ _ _ Cook Artist Tucson", my blog came up FIRST out of over 40,000 webpages!!! It kind of made me feel important, but it made me feel a little nervous, too, because who doesn't google themselves every once in a while? I'm sure my friend is no different. That's why I disguised his name.

Also, it has recently come to my attention that maybe my blog came up first out of all the other webpages because google knows that I spend a lot of time on my blog, and correctly guessed that that's the page I was looking for. Either way, better safe than sorry, right?

1 comment:

  1. i broke down and made a blog. and now you're on my blog list whether you like it or not!

    ReplyDelete