Saturday, August 09, 2008

A Harrowing Experience

There was an unfortunate turn of events this morning. I had just barely hit snooze on my alarm (if I don't set it on Saturday mornings, I'll sleep 12 hours straight, then feel like crap the rest of the weekend) when I heard Penny beginning to throw up. Let me tell you, this dog is incapable of just throwing up out of the blue. She makes a big show of it. The gagging begins at least two minutes before anything ever comes out of her mouth, giving me plenty of time to pick her up and run her into the kitchen where the linoleum makes for easier cleanup. This is something I've done a lot. Well, apparently little Penny forgot, because as I came flying at her and scooped her up, she let out a horrifying squall and twisted this way and that, causing me to drop her in surprise. By this point, however, I was already nearing full sprint, and as she fell, she impeded my forward motion. You can see where this is going.

My hands failed me. Hands, where were you?! You weren't out in front of my face, catching my fall, I'll tell you that much. Maybe they were trying to move Penny out of the way. Well turns out I didn't need them, anyway, because my face performed the task of hitting the floor first very nicely if I may say so indeed. Yes. My face. I skidded on my face along the carpet, arms pinned to my sides, for at least two feet. And there was considerable damage.

Here's my right cheekbone. It's all shiny because of the ointment I put on it, but you can definitely see the rug burn. PS- Jon still doesn't believe that I have green in my eyes.


And here's my fat lip. The old Canon Powershot A520 is incapable of taking in-focus closeups, but you get the idea.


Falling down isn't anything that's new to me (see here), but I realized that this is the first time I have actually sustained injury from a tumble. Anyway, that was my harrowing experience.

Last night I watched Unbreakable (for the first time) and it was kind of cool. I don't know. Not as great as I was expecting it to be. The twist at the end didn't blow my mind like I was expecting it to. OH - but I thought of something that would be AWESOME. Wouldn't it be the CRAZIEST TWIST EVER to find out at the end of a movie that the entire thing has been moving BACKWARD, not forward? Someone would have to be a crazy-awesome writer in order to pull that off. I don't even think it would be possible, but seriously, imagine how you would blow peoples' minds if you could do it. M. Night Shyamalan owes me for that one.

Anyway, have a great weekend. If you'd all like to fast for my facial injuries, I'd really appreciate it. It would be great if I could heal up quickly. Thanks, guys.

PS- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Here's to hoping you have a rub burn free weekend.

    And I have to say, M. Night has lost his touch. We saw his latest movie, and it was AWFUL. There wasn't even a twist! I walked out of the theater angry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, that's supposed to be RUG burn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If Jon's hitting you, just say the word and we'll take him out. Seriously. Say. The. Word. You don't have to make up lies about rug burns.

    Also, if you set your camera to macro mode, you'll get great close-up shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't believe you watched unbreakable. we also watched it last night for the first time!!! creepy. so we thought the same thing. it just wasn't as great as i expected, wasn't the shock i was looking for. oh well, at least it was just on t.v.
    sorry about the face burn. that hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOSH THAT IS SO FUNNY! I am laughing so hard I am crying. I was trying to read out loud to Katherine and I couldn't. I kept going "along" (LAUGH LAUGH LAUGH, cry) "the carp-" (AHAAAAAA) "the carpet!" Seriously, it took me like a minute and a half just to read one sentence.

    Not that I think it's funny that you got hurt......

    ReplyDelete