Thursday, February 02, 2012

This just happened.

Her: Hi, my name’s Debbie calling from _________, and I need to send a meller to your office. Can I please confirm your melling address?
Me: Sure, it’s ________________________.
Her: Thank you so much! Could I also get so-and-so’s e-mell address?
Me: Yeah, but first - Are you from Utah, by chance?
Her: Yes!!! How did you know????
Me: From how you just said the word “mail”. Utahns say “mell”.
Her: Oh my gosh, that’s too funny! I didn’t even rillize!!

4 comments:

  1. i'm one utahn who doesn't say "mell." drives me batty! but i'm guilty of the glottal stop (as in mou'ain (mountain), mi'in (mitten), etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you go to a Utah Subway sandwich place they'll ask you if you want the "mill dill".

    Other things in their language:
    - "mouh-in" (mountain)
    - "junnawha" (Sentence beginning: "Junnawha? I just think you are so stinkin' cute.")
    - "spirah" (spirit)
    - "whheat" (as in "whhite, whiinter, whheat")
    - "speer-chull" (very devout, i.e. spiritual)

    ReplyDelete